May 7, 2021 23:50

Judge Rejects Self-Defense Claim in Kenosha Shooting

A court commissioner overseeing the case of Kyle Rittenhouse, a teenager accused of killing two people and injuring a third during protests in Kenosha, Wi., this summer, has denied defense attorneys’ request to dismiss two of the six charges against him. During a preliminary hearing Thursday, Kenosha County Circuit Court Commissioner Loren Keating said he found enough evidence that support the charges against Rittenhouse, 17, for the case to proceed to trial, NPR reports. The Antioch, Il., teenager was released from custody last month and faces homicide charges in the killings of Anthony Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum and attempted homicide in the wounding of Gaige Grosskreutz.

The shootings took place after days of protests of the shooting of Jacob Blake, a Black man, by Kenosha police. Blake was left paralyzed. An attorney for Rittenhouse, Mark Richards, tried to convince the court that the teen was acting in self-defense and that he broke no laws by possessing the firearm during demonstrations on Aug 25. Kenosha County Assistant District Attorney Thomas Binger disagreed. “We don’t allow teenagers to run around with guns, it’s really that simple,” he said. “A teenager in this case killed two people and shot a third, because teenagers shouldn’t be allowed to run around with dangerous weapons because bad things happen.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top