This disaster of a bill actually made it out of committee. The media has noticed:
Police unions and law enforcement organizations from across Illinois were united on Saturday in opposition to a broad criminal justice overhaul the Illinois Legislative Black Caucus is pushing during the General Assembly’s lame-duck session, while Cook County’s top prosecutor weighed in with her support.
Many of the objections from police unions and others were aired during a nearly four-hour Senate committee hearing, and centered largely on proposed restrictions on collective bargaining rights for police and the removal of protections for officers against lawsuits alleging civil rights violations.
Tamara Cummings, general counsel for the Illinois Fraternal Order of Police Labor Council, warned that eliminating so-called qualified immunity for officers would “open the floodgates for frivolous lawsuits.”
“This bill goes beyond reasonable reform and goes beyond necessary reform, and it’s frankly punitive,” Cummings testified before the Senate Executive Committee.
As we understand it, this started as a Prescription Drug bill with numerous unrelated amendments attached as it moved along, because no one in their right mind would pass a bill this punitive in nature and atrocious in actual content. In fact, it’s biggest booster is….Crimesha….and we all see how the summer of 2020 with near record homicides, shootings and riots resulted from her benighted policies. Her policies ended up being the single most deadly factor in the deaths of black and brown victims and not the police.
So this bill is headed to the floor for a vote Monday. You can register your objections at this link here:
- Click “Create Witness Slip.”
- Fill out your personal info in Section I.
- Type self in Section II.
- In Section III, select HB163 – SA2 from the pull down tab and then click “Opponent.”
- REPEATING: click OPPONENT and double check it – when you scroll down, the program has a tendency to move the choice to PROPONENT which is the opposite of what you want
- In Section IV, click “Record of Appearance Only.”
- Click “I Agree ILGA Terms of Agreement” in the bottom left corner.
- Lastly, in the bottom right corner click “Create(Slip).”
If this passes in any way, shape or form, we can guarantee two things:
- massive statewide retirements – who would work under these conditions?
- new homicide records across the state
This would truly be a disaster for policing.